Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Shaft...again.

Let me start off by saying that I disagree with you Professor! This movie was better than the original Shaft to me. I don't know if its because I'm a biased Samuel L. Jackson fan or because of the fact that it was more recent. I enjoyed this movie because it was hilarious with a lot of witty comments and very colorful characters (People's, pictured on the left, was my favorite). He took care of his people, looked sharp, and was no-nonsense in his white Gucci suits. The movie starter with the same theme song as the original Shaft, and I must admit just because of the montage of sex, guns, sirens, and police cars that I would not like this movie as much as I did. I was wrong of course. I also expected it to be the same plot but to my surprise it was much different. It wasn't so much a remake to me but a reinvention.


"Don't get me wrong: ''Shaft'' is no white-bashing fantasy. It's a mean and lively urban cross fire, with racial cracks ricocheting off each other like popcorn, and shoot-outs staged with such hair-raising finesse that they just about cleanse the air. The movie's neo-blaxploitation politics could be described as righteous indignation lite. Shaft, the black cop, knows that the (white) system is rigged to protect people like Wade, the son of a real estate magnate. And so he sets up an elaborate rattrap to catch him, only to find an extra rat or two inside." I agree with this statement by the EW review because I felt like it corresponded to current day racism, not the old racism. I felt like Wade (the obviously racist murderer) was favored because he was white. The system was corrupt because they set bail at easy amounts for the man to pay. I mean, the price of freedom is priceless but murder, the last time I checked at least, was completely against the law despite your feelings or skin color. Oh! And I absolutely loved it when Shaft threw his shield at the judge and hit the wall. In my opinion, it was a metaphor for nailing the judicial system to the wall but so much more dramatic.


The movie, despite when it was made, challenged a lot for me because Christian Bale was the bad guy, and a good one at that! I'm used to him being Batman and fighting crime not committing it. He was so convincing and devious in his plans that I actually felt scared of him for a while. I thought he would get his butt kicked in prison when that prisoner wanted his shoes (what was he going to do with them in prison anyway?) but I was proven wrong once again when he kicked his ass instead. It looked like he would do anything, murder again too. He had so many people on his side and it always looked like he would get his way. He seemed so powerful until his downfall. Ahhh!!! Sweet, sweet revenge.


Overall I'd have to recommend this movie to those that enjoy a good laugh as well as many gun fights. I don't think anyone could have done this part better than Samuel Jackson. He's so good at being bad ass I don't think anybody will ever be able to top it.

1 comment:

  1. I also was surprised after all the negative comments had regarding this film how much I enjoyed it. I wouldn't watch it more than once as it was enjoyable but not wear out the disc watching it so many times worthy! I believe it did have to do with us watching this style of films as opposed to the style of older films.
    People's was probably my favorite character as he was not the best influence but still cared about his people especially his family.
    I also was expecting Wade to get his butt kicked in prison but this was one movie that kept you guessing what was coming next.

    ReplyDelete