Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hairspray

John Waters' Hairspray is based on the favorite pastime of Baltimore teens in the early 1960's. The New York Times review of this movie criticizes the teenagers with the excessive use of hairspray onto their "teased, empty heads". The film starts off with a montage of the members preparing to shoot on the "Corny Collins Show". This shows the teens in various ways; stuffing bras, making out, spraying massive amounts of hairspray. I must admit that when the movie first started I felt the same way. Some of them took a little too much pleasure in spraying hairspray on their hair. It was like they were superficial and their lives revolved around having perfect hair, going "steady" and also being on television instead of actual school work (which I never saw anyone do). To me this also fed into the stereotype that women should be thin while still being well endowed in those God given areas.

Let me start off by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! The directors feelings were quite obvious and I loved that. There were the typical teenagers, all love struck and hormonal and some blonde chick was leading the perfect life until Tracy Turnblad came and took her spotlight and her boyfriend. Skinny women are evil and fat chicks rule. This also shows how dreams come true when you least expect them too and has a message to keep your head up regardless of what people think around you, be yourself.

Tracy Turnbald is definitely not your normal movie heroine. She's a pleasantly plump, white brunette that can dance. What are the odds? But she embodied the "bigger is better" idea and loved herself thus, everyone else began to love her as well. She was bold, outspoken and definitely not one of the racist people in the film. I fell in love with Tracy during this movie and I hope the new Hairspray doesn't tarnish my thoughts of her.

The Corny Collins Show has "Negro day" every last thursday of the month. They are really for segregation but yet they still bring in the special guest who just happens to be a black radio host, Motormouth Maybelle. Hmm...interesting. The host of the show, Corny Collins and a few other members are all for integration but the producers and managers are all against it. Throughout the show you see Tracy and her boyfriend gradually being accepted into the black community and wishing they were black (quite funny btw) and they push for the show to be integrated. I found it really interesting that as Tracy was being held captive the black people were also because imprisoned/taken advantage of in some way. And when she became free and went to claim her throne the black people all walked in with her and thus, the Corny Collins show then became integrated. With Tracy's freedom, the black people became free as well.


"Penny Pingleton is positively, permanently punished" lol. I got to admit that made me chuckle. Penny's mother was obviously the one who need professional help. Her parents were control freaks. The way she freaked out when the colored guy asked her for a dollar was hilarious! But at some point in the movie I really wanted someone to just slap the hell out of her. The racial material at all points were real but I love that the director shed humor on such a big issue. To me it was quite obvious that the director was for integration.

I can't wait to see the remake because I thoroughly enjoyed this movie not knowing what it was about when I first went into it. I'm curious to see if the racial issues stand in the newest Hairspray seeing as how that was clearly the argument of the old movie. But for the record, this movie will NEVER top Grease!

2 comments:

  1. I thought this film was fun- it wasn't deep but it was entertaining! I loved the advice you gave about being yourself & keeping your head up since you never know when things will go your way! Penny & her mother made the film the great success it was I believe. It was humorous to see how ignorant and strict her mother was but yet it played an important role in the film as it allowed us to reflect on stereotypes and biases that we may have towards others and how ridiculous they may seem as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like that the director puts all kinds of humor and ridiculous things into some big issues; especially when I recall some pieces of the film, they are not only funny but also making sense. Besides, I agree taht the director does a good job in portraying characters; it's amazing that almost everybody in the film are likeable, even Amber and her mother are very interesting and funny characters; after all it may be due to the style of the film.

    ReplyDelete